Sciatica is a disease that can affect anyone, and it is very unpleasant due to the persistent pain it creates. The pain occurs along the sciatic nerve because of the compression. It is characterized by a sharp pain that can persist for several days which it extends from your buttocks to your lower legs.
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve of the human body that extends from the sacral plexus, a “network” of nerves in the lower back, and when this nerve is irritated, a distressing pain installs.
So, if you experience pain in the lower back that irradiates to your buttocks and legs, tingling sensations, numbness, hip pain and difficulty in walking, then you can use the following remedy to ease the pain until you will be able to see a doctor.
Local applications will relieve the pain of the sciatic nerve, due to the relaxation of the muscles in the affected area, that’s why you should try using them when dealing with sciatica pain.
Hot and cold compresses
Hot compression is very useful to relieve pain as it relaxes your muscles. In turn, the cold compress calms and reduces the inflammation around the nerve and numbs the affected area.
Alternating between hot and cold compression is an effective remedy when pain is intense.
- 2 towels
- Cold water
- Hot water
How to apply?
- First, soak one towel in hot water and apply it over the affected area for 20 minutes.
- Remove the hot towel.
- The next step is to soak the second towel in cold water and apply it over the affected area for another 20 minutes.
- Repeat the process for one hour.
Along with this remedy you can apply a local ginger compress, as it follows:
Ginger is one of the most used anti-inflammatory plants. Combined with sesame oil, which has antioxidant, moisturizing, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is an effective remedy for treating diseases such as sciatica.
- ½ cup of sesame oil
- Medium-size ginger root
- A thick piece of gauze
How to prepare:
- First, heat sesame oil in the microwave.
- Grate or blend the ginger root and mix it with the oil.
- Soak a thick piece of gauze in this mixture and apply it over the affected area. Let it act for 20 minutes.
- Or, you can apply the mixture over the painful area and put a hot towel over it (you may heat the towel in the microwave).
Of course, if you try performing a set of low-impact stretches, you will strengthen the back muscles, which will help you a lot in alleviating sciatic nerve pain. You can try the next yoga stretches for sciatica: