When you experience symptoms like fever, aching muscles, runny nose, sore throat and fatigue, you are probably dealing with flu. Often, flu symptoms make your feel so bad that will interrupt you in the middle of your tasks.
Flu must be treated from its first symptoms otherwise it may lead to serious complications. This common viral infection affects your respiratory system and it usually runs its course in about a week without being necessary to see a doctor.
Although there is no cure for flu, you can treat its symptoms using home remedies. However, you should take care of your health and get a flu shot at the beginning of cold season. This way you’ll avoid getting the flu.
But, in case you didn’t and now you’re struggling with flu, you should try the following remedy which is often called the best natural antibiotic. The recipe of this garlic-based remedy is passed through generations and cured a lot of members in my family. Furthermore, I administrate it to my daughter with confidence to soothe flu and cold symptoms.
- 1 glass of milk (200ml)
- 2 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of butter (unsalted)
- Place butter in milk and warm it all up just until butter melts. When done set aside so the milk comes back to room temperature.
- Mince the clove of garlic and leave to sit aside for 5 minutes (This will allow to develop the antibacterial compound called Allicin.)
- When milk reached room temperature add the minced clove of garlic and honey, stir well and drink straight away.
Important tips to prepare this garlic milk remedy:
- Crush garlic about 5 minutes before it is added to milk. Allicin, which is responsible for garlic’s antibacterial properties, needs time to develop. It gets partly stabilized when added to a liquid (milk).
- Milk cannot be hot as it will destroy garlic’s antibacterial and antiviral properties (high heat kills allicin). So, after you dissolved the butter in it wait until the milk gets to room temperature before adding the minced garlic to the mixture.
- Drink one glass, right before bedtime; when you feel you’re about to go down with something or you already know you have a cold or flu. Milk will help you sleep better too.
But that’s not all! Alongside with the garlic milk remedy you have to do something with that runny nose. So, its better to do some Vicks steam inhalations.
- Add 300 ml of hot water into a bowl with 2 teaspoons of Vicks Vaporub. Stir well then cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam which carries Vicks Vaporub until your nose is decongested.