Ringworm is a condition caused by a fungal infection and it appears in the shape of reddish circle. Despite its name, this fungal infection is not caused by a worm; it’s caused by a fungus named tinea.
The symptoms include red, scaly and circular patch on the skin which affects the scalp and arms. But, it can appear on any part of the body. For instance, I was infected with tinea corpolis last year and this round patch appeared on the back of my knees. It was extremely itchy and it didn’t have the chance to spread because I act immediately.
The doctor suggested some over-the-counter ointments, but I was already using a natural treatment suggested by my grandma, based on essential oils. To my surprise, the doctor said to continue with this treatment because the effects were visible after 2 days of use.
As I said above, certain essential oils such as lavender or tea tree oil have strong antifungal properties. By applying them several times a day will speed up healing and prevent the spread of the fungus.
I used both lavender and tea tree oil as it follows:
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of water with 2 tablespoons of one of the essential oils.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and cover it with a cloth or gauze.
- Leave the remedy to act for a few hours, and then remove the bandage.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily by switching the oils. I applied this remedy for a month even if the symptoms started to disappear from the first days.
Another remedy that I used every evening for a month before applying the tea tree oil remedy was this next salt and vinegar mixture:
Even if the salt and vinegar mixture can be irritating when it comes into contact with the affected area, this remedy is extremely effective.
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
Method of preparation:
- In a small pot, put the salt, and then pour the vinegar by stirring continuously.
- A paste it will form which you have to apply it over the ringworm.
- Let it act for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and remove the excess by dabbing gently using a clean cotton towel.
- Repeat this treatment twice a day for at least a week.