Lately, more and more sciatica patients are seeking home remedies to ease the pain caused by this disease. Most of them are tired of taking prescribed medicines or the latest pain relief ointment due to their side effects.
But what is sciatica?
Sciatica, also known as sciatic nerve pain is caused by the compression of the sciatic nerve making you feel pain, tingling and numbness in the leg. This disease usually affects only one part of the body but it could be very severe in intensity. However, most often you feel the pain in the lower back and thigh that runs down through the leg and sometimes to the sole.
Tips and practices when dealing with sciatica:
- Avoid bed rest as it is not recommended.
- Reduce physical activities for the first couple of days. Then, ramp up your physical activities gradually.
- Strive not to do heavy lifting or twisting with your back for the first 6 weeks after the pain begins.
- You could begin exercising after 2 or 3 weeks of feeling the pain. Include exercises that strengthen your abdominal core and improve the flexibility of your spine.
- Avoid sleeping on a mattress that is either too soft or too firm.
There are many effective treatments for sciatica and most people suffering for such disease don’t end up needing surgery, because they get better in a few weeks using only natural remedies. As an answer to the question “can sciatica be relieved naturally?” I would say: Yes, it can, only if the pain is mild and won’t interfere with your daily activities. This means that you have to start the treatment from the first symptoms.
One of the best natural treatment for sciatica is Garlic Milk…
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of water
- 10 cloves of garlic
Put milk and water in a pot over the stove. Peel garlic cloves and add to pot and boil over medium fire. Continue to stir and cook for a few minutes. Remove from stove and strain the milk. For sweetness, you can add a little honey. Drink one cup daily.
…but only if you combine it with this Homemade Cayenne Salve…
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cayenne powder
- 1/2 ounce beeswax
- Begin by combining the cayenne and olive oil in a double boiler or a pan on very low heat.
- Heat the oil and cayenne until it is warm, turn off the heat, and let it sit (warmly) for about 20 minutes, then turn the heat on again.
- Repeat this process for at least one hour to a couple of hours.
- Once the cayenne and olive oil have been infused, strain off the powder through a cheesecloth. Reserve the infused oil.
- Heat the beeswax until it is melted. Stir in the infused oil until the beeswax and oil have been thoroughly melted together and combined.
- Immediately pour this mixture into jars or tins. Let it cool and then label it.
…and with the following low-impact stretches.