Everyone knows what hiccupping is, but almost nobody knows why are we hiccupping? If hiccups last, this unpleasant symptom can become painful, tortuous and annoying, especially for the one who is hiccupping. And let’s face it, even for those around him.
Below you have 12 natural remedies and tricks to get rid of hiccups.
1. Put in a glass of warm water 10-15 drops of sea buckthorn tincture. Drink all the glass from one sip.
2. No matter which position you choose – lying down, sitting or standing – hold your breath and count to ten. Then, inspire quickly and start counting again. Normally, after two or three repetitions, the hiccups stop.
3. Stay in one leg without supporting you. Lift the opposite hand of the raised leg and try to focus on keeping your balance while you are also trying to hold your breath. In less than a minute, you’ll get rid of the hiccups.
4. If you are unable to hold your breath, call for acupuncture. Sit on a chair and press behind your ear, in that small hole. The pressure should be moderate. Do this for 1 minute, breathing deeply at the same time. If it doesn’t work from the first attempt, take a 2-3 minutes break and repeat again.
5. Another option is to swallow a piece of ice. Or drink with small sips and without breathing a glass of cold water.
6. Chew or swallow a few dill seeds. It can calm down the hiccups. You can keep them in your purse, because you don’t know when you’ll be in need.
7. Try to breath for 10 seconds in a bag.
8. If you are hiccupping at home then you pour 4-5 drops of vinegar in a teaspoon with sugar, and chew until the sugar is melt. Swallow at end! Don’t drink water afterwards.
9. Mix a little mustard and vinegar, and apply on half of your tongue this paste. The sensation is very unpleasant, but you have to stand it for 2-3 minutes, then rinse your mouth with warm water.
10. Try to drink water standing upside-down. A small sip can do wonders.
11. If you notice that a person in your entourage start to hiccup, try scare him. But careful not to have heart disorders!
Image Credits: Realsimple