Stiff neck is a problem faced by many people these days. Incorrect sleeping positions, standing in front of the computer, are just a few causes of a stiff and sore neck.
Other causes can be stress and anxiety, which creates tension around the neck muscles, traumas, or various diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, meningitis and cancer.
Symptoms of stiff neck are: pain and difficulty in movement, especially when people in question try to turn their throats to one side.
Here are 10 remedies for your neck:
1. Gentle massage is a pleasant remedy for a sore neck, because it increases blood circulation and reduces stiffness.
2. Exercise is very beneficial for treating the neck, because it relieves tension caused by strained and stretched muscles.
Stand still, while relaxing your body. Roll your head forward (on your chest) and leave it on your back (looking toward the ceiling). Repeat this movement for several minutes. Finish the exercises by slowly rotating your shoulders. Swimming is another relaxing exercise for a stiff and sore neck, which also prevents this unpleasant situation.
3. Cold compresses soothe the symptoms of the neck, because low temperature limits the accumulation of lactic acid produced by the muscular metabolism that causes the pain. Pack some ice cubes in a towel and apply compress to the bumpy area for 10-15 minutes, repeating the operation once every 2 hours, within 48 hours after the symptoms appear. Alternatively, you can use a pack of frozen vegetables.
4. Heat therapy is an alternative to ice, if the latter doesn’t show improvements after 48 hours. Heat will increase blood flow and decrease stiffness. Apply a hot compress on the neck for at least 10 minutes, 3-4 times a day, until the pain disappears completely.
5. Epsom salt is made up of magnesium sulphate, which helps reduce neck stiffness, regulates the activity of several enzymes in the body and improves blood circulation, reducing muscle tension and stress. Add 2 cups of Epson salt in the hot water bathtub. Stay in the bathtub with your neck in the water for 15-20 minutes, 3 times a week. Avoid this remedy if you have kidney problems or diabetes.
6. Mint oil contains menthol, which reduces the rigidity of the neck muscles, having analgesic properties that reduce pain and discomfort. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil for a few seconds, add a few drops of essential mint oil and massage the neck with this mixture twice a day for a few days in a row. Mint oil is contraindicated in children and people with sensitive skin.
7. Apple vinegar contains antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps treating neck stiffness. Moreover, this remedy prevents muscle stretches and treats the pain caused by nutrient deficiency in the body. Soak a paper towel in apple vinegar and apply the compress to the affected area, letting it work for a few hours. Use this remedy twice a day until you feel better.
8. Cayenne Pepper is another effective remedy that treats that nasty neck pain due to capsaicin content with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that reduce pain and inflammation.
9. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the discomfort caused by a stiff neck, improving at the same time the blood flow.
10. Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese treatment in which a therapist applies pressure at specific points to reduce pain and to help you get rid of neck stiffness, especially if it’s caused by an incorrect posture.