Nasal congestion can make the basic act of breathing a challenge and leave you feeling drained. Unless there is something really serious going on, a stuffy nose will go away within a week.
However, in case it bothers you a lot or that you have an important meeting and sounding funny is the last thing you want, try these simple home remedies and get rid of it faster:
1. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is one of the best remedies to treat the nasal congestion and blocked sinuses. The capsacin present in it acts as a natural decongestant and reduces the swelling. The heat in cayenne pepper encourages runny nose and draw out the mucus and allergens in the sinuses.
– Dip a cotton swab into cayenne pepper powder.
– Bring it near the nostril and gently take a breath in.
– This induces the sneezing and clears the congestion.
Note: Initially, you may experience a burning sensation, but it will pass away quickly.
Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
Alternatively: Add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder and 1 tablespoon of honey. Consume the mixture to get relief.
2. Steam Decongestant
Clearing your sinuses will help you in getting rid of stuffy nose. Loosening mucous with steam therapy help you get instant relief and prevent swelling inside your nose. It works as a decongestant for nasal passage. One can use essential oils or natural herb like chamomile to prepare the steamy bowl of home cure(2).
How to make steam decongestant
– Fill a big bowl with hot steaming water and add 2 tablespoon of chamomile herb leaves.
– Use dried leaves of chamomile herb.
– Cover the bowl for 2 minutes then place your head above the bowl.
– Inhale the steam regular throughout the day to get relief from moving mucous.
Do this twice a day or when ever you start feeling trouble in breathing.
Garlic helps to drain the mucus by reducing inflammation of nasal passages and makes you breathe comfortably. Apart from that, it contains antimicrobial properties and boosts your immune system if taken regularly. Chew few garlic cloves to get relief from the congestion or try the process below.
– Into a cup of water, add 3 – 4 freshly peeled garlic cloves.
– Bring the mixture to boil and remove from the flame.
– Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder into it and stir well.
– Let the mixture cool down until lukewarm and drink it.
Repeat the process regularly for best results.
4. Saline rinse to clear a stuffy nose quickly
Saline rinses are the best way of clearing a clogged nose. With this method, you make use of a salt solution to cleanse the nose. The water helps to flush out mucus and bacteria trapped in the nasal passage while at the same time soothing inflammation. This can be used in different ways using convenient application devices. You can buy the solution or make your own at home by adding a tablespoon of salt to a cup of warm water.
– With the saline solution at hand, lean over a sink ensuring the tip of the lower nostril points to the drain.
– Using a syringe bulb, neti pot or spray bottle irrigate your nose by letting water flow into the nasal passage through the upper nostril and out through the lower side.
– Allow all the water to drain out before repeating the same with the other side.
Repeat procedure up to three times per day until the nose is unclogged.
5. Try Some Eucalyptus Oil
Add 1 drop of pure eucalyptus oil for every teaspoon of olive oil in a glass or ceramic bowl (not plastic). Store this mix and dip one side of a tissue or handkerchief in this mix. Now stuff the dipped end in your nostril and breathe in deeply. Repeat the same procedure with the other nostril. Ensure that you use this method an hour before going to bed, and within half an hour after waking up for effective clearing of your nasal passage.
Spraying some pure eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief and smelling it throughout the day can also help you get rid of a stuffy nose.